Question:

From Wilmington, North Carolina, USA:

My 4 year old son was diagnosed 15 months ago with Type 1. As far as I know, no antibody test were done. His blood glucose was off the scale and he was in ketoacidosis, so I guess there was no need for testing.

His insulin dose has been 2R/6N at 7:30AM, 1R/2.5N PM. This worked pretty well until 3 weeks ago. Suddenly we were unexpected lows, mostly around 10:00AM. We got down to 1/2unit R and were pushing 40 grams carb and still dropping 50mg/dl. Then just as suddenly, it changed back to the old routine. Any ideas?

Answer:

I agree with your son's diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes even if made without antibo dy testing but with quite a high blood glucose and ketoacidosis it's not necessary to check antibodies in order to establish the diagnosis.

Unfortunately the honeymoon phase generally lasts much shorter in children than in adolescents or young adults. The start of the honeymoon period may explain the short period of lows and the sudden stop, the end of the honeymoon.

Keep on with striving for good metabolic control.

Posted to Honeymoon