Question:

From New York, USA:

I am having problems with the school providing snacks for my son. If we forget to send something in they are telling us that we have to have money on an account to pay for it. I was told that the school had to provide snacks for a Insulin dependent diabetic. My son is 11 years old and just started the pump. He has been having problems getting adjusted and has gotten very low at times. Are there grants for the school that I can apply for to get funding for his meals and snacks? Any advice?

Answer:

Speak to the school nurse and social worker to see if they have any ideas about always having snacks available for your child. Perhaps you could provide snacks ahead of time so that they will always be available. I assume that if your child is using an insulin infusion pump, you have made careful plans about blood glucose monitoring, changing infusion sets at school, having ketone strips, and insulin and syringes available at school. I would add snacks to my list of supplies needed.

LM

Posted to Social Issues: School and Daycare