Question:

From Canada:

I have had diabetic for about 20 years. I am not on insulin but on pills. I am quite thin and seem to have lost a lot of muscle in my legs, they feel very bony. Can you tell me any thing about this? I am a male 68 years old.

Answer:

It seems to me you're suffering from a form of diabetic neuropathy, which is one of the most common long term diabetes complication, and from what you say it appears that you are suffering from the peripheral (somatic) one called diabetic amyotrophy. Therapy is specific for the different symptoms, such as pain, and new treatments have recently come out. Discuss with your physician, or if additional advice is needed, a neurologist.