Question:

From South Carolina, USA:

Do you have any suggestions on how to get my morning fasting level lower? I was having problems taking Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes] due to digestive problems. Now I am on one Glucotrol [another pill for Type 2 diabetes] in the morning and two at night and my fasting level is still averaging about 170. I am eating a low carb diet, exercising, and living an active life. Any ideas?

Answer:

You have at least 3 choices:

1. NPH insulin at night
  2. A trial of Rezulin (troglitazone), with the proper monitoring of liver functions for the first year
  3. A retry of Glucophage and see if the gut problems don't pass. They actually usually do with time (weeks).

Posted to Daily Care and Medications: Pills for Diabetes