From Dhahran, Saudi Arabia:

My 13 year old son was diagnosed with a type 1 diabetes 5 months ago. He is on 70/30 insulin; he is taking 17 units in the morning and 10 units in the evening. His blood sugar reading was generally between 80 to 200 for 4 months but now his reading is changed, between 140 to sometimes up to 400.

I did speak to my son's doctor and he stated that this uncontrolled diabetes is caused by the teenage hormones which conflict with the insulin. My questions:

1. What can I do to control his diabetic during his teenaged years?
  2. Is infection affecting the blood sugar? I noticed that whenever my son has any type of infection, his blood sugar shoots high.

The easy question first. Infection can certainly raise blood sugar. It is a form of stress. The child likely needs more insulin at times when infection is present.

It sounds like you need to consult your son's diabetes team about the potential to use a different insulin schedule. Insulin before meals and bedtime seems one option. You might want to read here in Children with Diabetes about some of the more intensive insulin regimes, including insulin pumps. I cannot make specific recommendations, but it sounds like you need to explore further.

Posted to Puberty