From Vermont, USA:

I just wanted your opinion on blood glucose monitors. My husband is 32 and has had Type 1 diabetes for fourteen years. Now he has become blind and I want to purchase a new monitor that will help him somewhat on taking his readings. I thoroughly read the reviews on monitors but there are so many and he currently uses an Accuchek Easy but can't see to put the drop of blood on or even read the resulting number. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Meet with a diabetes educator knowledgeable about blood glucose monitoring by people with visual impairment. If you don't know of a diabetes educator, call the American association of Diabetes Educators at 1-800-TEAMUP for information. In Diabetes Forecast there is an annual review of products, including blood glucose monitors with audio availability, and devices to help aim the drop of blood onto the correct spot.

[Editor's comment: The Accu-Chek Voicemate uses voice prompts to help you use an Accu-Chek Advantage meter. Though I have not tested the Voicemate, this seems like a good solution for people with visual impairments. JSH]