Question:

From Everett , Washington, USA:

I have two meters made by the same company (call them Meter A and Meter B). I ran blood tests using both meters and found a great difference on the high end. Could there be something wrong with my meters?

Here are the results of my comparison:

Date Meter A Meter B
12/1440348
12/1379294
12/2384362
12/2392313
12/3498379
12/3508409
12/4427379
12/4258212

I ran tests on both meters and the meters were in range.

Answer:

I would talk to the manufacturer about your concern to see what their comments are. In general, the home meters are not as accurate in the extreme ranges (highs and lows). They are also not as accurate as a laboratory blood glucose. Be careful because some meters are calibrated to venous blood and others are not; this can give another 15% or so difference. Also there is a small difference in the blood samples which are squeezed out when compared to the first drop. That plus the built-in error from meter to meter, as well as user error, can lead to differences in numbers you get. My personal opinion about home meters is that they tell you if you are low, in range, high, or very high.

LM