Question:

From Oregon, USA:

My 4 year old son was diagnosed at 2 year old with diabetes. Before now he has never wet the bed. We have had him to the doctor but the bedwetting is infrequent. Now when he goes to his father's for a visit he also wets himself in the daytime. He only wets the bed for a few nights after he returns but wets the bed all the time at dad's.

I'm confused and I don't understand why he wets the bed and my doctor is offering no advice.

Answer:

Make sure that your son has been checked to see that he doesn't have a urinary tract infection or other problem. If your son did not wet the bed before, then it is important to pursue the reason. If his blood sugars are high overnight that could contribute to bedwetting. It is best to get a full and individual evaluation for this problem from a thorough clinician.

LM