Question:

From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I am a 50 year old woman, Type 2, but I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease, so I suspect I may be Type 1. I am taking Glucophage [metformin, a pill for Type 2 diabetes].

Why do I have ketones if my blood glucose is in normal ranges? I check these occasionally as well as blood glucose twice daily. Yesterday I was not hungry at 6:30 P.M., had a lunch of chicken salad on a slice of bread earlier at 1:00, and had large ketones per the strip, no sugar in urine. Blood glucose was 124. This is not an infrequent occurrence. Could it have something to do with the Glucophage?

I have read that Type 1s have ketones more than Type 2s?

Also, what exactly is lactic acidosis and how does this happen? Is this related to ketones in any way? I have read the insert about Glucophage that the pharmacy provides, but I don't really understand.

Answer:

I'm not convinced either that you are actually type 2 and I do agree with you that quite possibly you are suffering from a slowly evolving form of type 1 diabetes.

Regarding ketones, they are produced in the body when insulin is lacking (this is why ketones are more frequent in insulin deficient type 1 versus insulin resistant type 2 diabetes) and fat are overoxidized.

Regarding the biguanide compound metformin (brand name Glucophage), this is not the cause of your ketonuria.