I offer another test to check diet soda for sugar does not require any chemical strips. You can pour or use a straw to put about 1/2 teaspoon of soda in the palm of one hand. Then rub your hands together until liquid dries (about 30 seconds). Sugar soda will leave your hands very sticky, while diet soda leaves no detectable residue.

Note: Sometimes fountain diet sodas contain residual sugar from dispensing of last regular soda but this should not be enough to cause concern.

I had not heard of this one. I think it could be a bit messy, besides. I think we have found that if in doubt, order iced tea or water, or if in a restaurant, you can ask them to take a drink back that you are unsure if it is diet or not. At fast food places, if you cannot see them pour out the drinks, try the other beverages. I do not think this is unreasonable, especially with the peanut allergies that are in the news now. However, it is not that folks with diabetes cannot have regular soda -- they just need to know so they could give extra insulin to compensate.