From Orange Park, Florida, USA:

My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 two months ago, but my question concerns a friend of his. While my son was performing his glucose test his 11 year old friend wanted to try it. The child had a large meal and a coke probably thirty minutes prior to the test but with a lot of acitvity in between. I know home glucose tests are not the perfect way to detect diabetes, but the reading was 178. Do you think I should mention this to his parents? I do not want to needlessly worry them.

As you said, the home meters aren't as reliable as a laboratory blood sugar, and this reading may be ok. Did this child clean off his finger before doing the test? I would not recommend anyone else using your child's lancet device- even with a clean lancet in it, due to the risk of blood contaminating the lancet and possibly transmitting infection. Also some meters where the blood comes in contact with the meter should not be shared. I would recommend letting this child's parent know that the blood test was done and that the results were higher than the normal range, but not conclusive. Talk to your child about not doing blood tests on other people.