From Sacramento, California, USA:

I have a two-fold question. First I am inquiring because my 7 year old daughter has had a severe problem with chronic constipation. Her cousin also had such a problem, as did the daughter of a day-care provider and both of them have since developed type 1 diabetes. Is chronic constipation a very early indicator of possible diabetes?

Also, this problem is worsened when she consumes milk, which her doctor does not feel is a problem. Because of the link between milk and diabetes I am concerned about continuing dairy. However, your discussions on milk center around infants and I was wondering if there is any research which finds a link in consuming milk in older children of any consequence?

Constipation is often a feature at presentation of diabetes purely because of the dehydration that occurs. You shouldn't worry about milk unless your daughter consumes large quantities and doesn't eat enough roughage -- perhaps a cause of her constipation. Even if milk was involved in the development of her diabetes (unlikely), there is no problem with her drinking it now.