Question:

From Israel:

I am 28 years old and have Type 1 diabetes. In order to achieve good control one must have a near normal HbA1c (which I do). But, HbA1c reflects only the mean glucose level during the past three months (i.e., HbA1c of all month peaks of glucose [30 to 370] would be the same as all glucose levels of 200 mg/dl). Therefore it is not enough for good glucose control. Is there another parameter one can use to check if his glucose levels are not too varient (i.e, standard deviation)?

Answer:

You are absolutely right, it is not only the mean blood sugar that matters, as represented by the A1c; but the standard deviation too. However the latter calculation is almost never done first because most people would not know how to do it and second because achieving a near normal A1c is considered a sufficient achievment. I expect that when the Glucowatch and the Minimed sensors come into increasing use sometime next year that a lot more attention will be paid to the more detailed analysis of the greatly increased amont of information, e.g. 70 blood sugars a day on the Glucowatch and many more with the Minimed. Ultimately I expect that this sort of information will be fed reliably directly into a pump control to complete a closed loop system and no patient calculation will be needed!

Posted to A1c, Glycohemoglobin, HgbA1c