From Dallas, Texas, USA:

I have undergone about 5-6 months of excruciating and extreme stress. My blood sugars have been high and erratic, especially in the morning. I have Type 2, am 50 years old, and use glucophage. We tried amaryl during this period, but it made the sugars even higher. I was rebounding in the middle of the night on low doses (2 mg). What I am wondering is the action at the cell level of stress hormones like cortisol. Do they bind to the cell and stay bound til the cell dies, thus keeping sugars higher for a period of time?

The stress hormones can raise your blood sugar, mostly by making you more insulin resistant, and since your pancreas cannot increase the amount of insulin high enough to overcome the resistance, your blood glucose can go up from stress, but this is not an effect that stays with cells until they die. I think you need to talk to your doctor about looking at some additional medications that will work for you. In addition to the Glucophage and the sulfonylureas (amaryl), your doctor could consider troglitazone (Rezulin) and insulin. Some people do well with some intermediate acting insulin at bedtime to get their fasting glucose in the normal range. The high blood glucose levels are not helping you cope with the stress in your life, and in fact, are probably making your ability to manage your life events worse.

Posted to Stress