Question:

From Southaven, Mississippi, USA:

I'm 57 years old and have had Type 1 diabetes for 49 years. I have a history of retinopathy and foot ulcerations but no renal or cardiac problems. Is 49 years with the condition unusual? I wish to set some sort of record.

Answer:

Unusual; but by no means a record. You may have been one of the lucky ones that continued to produce a small part of your insulin needs which meant that you were able to maintain good control. It is also possible that you had another form of diabetes than the usual Type 1A autoimmune variety. Anyway the important thing is to be glad that things have gone so well and to continue striving for thr best possible control of your blood sugars.