From Wisconsin, USA:

I have a 10 year old child who has had Type 1 diabetes for two years. I would like to find information on hospital stay parental rights. Do I have the right to stay after visiting hours or all night? Does my child have the right to be in charge of testing and insulin dosage? Thanks for your help.

If your child will be admitted to a specific hospital, ask the staff about the visitng rules for parents and others, as well as the procedures for medications. Pediatric floors usually let a parent stay overnight. Many hospitals will require that medications are not to be left at the bedside, that medications may not be brought in from home, and all medications and procedures are supervised. These rules may seem strict to you, but have been developed for your child's safety, and were based on previous, tragic happenings in hospitals.