Question:

From Rochester, New York, USA:

I have had Type 1 diabetes for 15 years. I am 34 years old and female. I am still on the same kind of insulin (Humulin N and Humulin R) that they put me on when I was diagnosed at the age of 18. I have spoken to my doctor and he says if it is working why change it? I would like to try something new. Can you suggest any new insulin medications?

Answer:

If your diabetes care is going well, then it would be up to you to see if there is some other regimen that would be better for you. Are you followed by an endocrinologist? Is your hemoglobin A1c where you want it to be? Are you blood sugars in the range you would like, and do you have problems with difficult lows? There are various insulin regimens available, and should be tailored to the individual. Have you considered an insulin pump? Regular and NPH insulins are fine insulins, with the amount, distribution and results being what is important. Have you tried Humalog insulin? If you have any doubts, read about diabetes care and meet with a diabetes educator or endocrinologist in your area.

LM