From Terre Haute, Indiana, USA:

I have been trying for several years to get pregnant on my own and have not been able to. I have Type 2 diabetes (I think that is what you call it when you're trying to control it with diet). I'm not ovulating because my sugar is too high. Do you believe that if I get my sugar under control with the diet that will I be able to get pregant and carry the baby? Is there any thing extra I can do to help?

If you have not been able to conceive after 2 years of unprotected intercourse, then you should consult with an infertility specialist. Diabetes can affect ovulation particularly if you have associated thyroid abnormalities. But I have seen patients with terrible glucose control who still manage to get pregnant. Your chances of a successful pregnancy will be improved with good glucose control. This is especially important prior to conception and during the first 3 months of pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning