Question:

From Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA:

I've been on the pump for about 6 months. My husband and I are eager to start a family. Could you tell me if Humalog is safe to use while pregnant?

My doctor says it's not FDA approved, but many women still use it. He told me it was up to me whether I wanted to use it or Regular and I'm not sure what to do because the Humalog works so well for me.

Answer:

Humalog has been used in pregnancy. However, about 2 years ago a letter was published in the New England Journal of Medicine reporting some cases of congenital abnormalities in babies of diabetic mothers using Humalog. However, these could not be absolutely attributed to this type of insulin. I have used Humalog in my patients without problems during pregnancy. Nevertheless if you are overly concerned, then you may want to switch to Regular insulin for the first 10-12 weeks of pregnancy.

Posted to Family Planning and Insulin Analogs