Question:

From Cherokee, Iowa, USA:

My son was diagnosed 8 years ago with Type 1 diabetes. Has motility problems with his bowel, discovered after a gastric emptying test. The doctor said that nothing can be done. Should we go to another doctor? Is there more testing or surgery that can be done? He is taking Senacot but still fills up and is constantly nauseaus and in pain with the laxatives.

bzclan@netins.net

Answer:

I don't know the details of your son's condition but I would have thought that it's unlikely that nothing can be done. There are several drugs that could be tried. Nonetheless, autonomic gut problems in diabetes can be difficult to treat effectively.