From Edmonton, Alberta, Canada:

I've read your recent answers to questions about what is a "brittle" diabetic and I would like some clarification. I work with an 11 year old Type 1 diabetic who was diagnosed at birth. The parents say brittle means he can go from 3 to a 24 in a very short time.

In the past the term 'brittle' was used to describe poor control and more specifically volatile blood sugar levels. The unfortunate part of using this term was that it encouraged the idea that this was a special type of diabetes that was not amenable to efforts at more meticulous control. Nowadays such lability would be an indication to explore better managements including new insulins, new dosage regimens, more frequent blood sugars, looking into psychosocial, dietary and excercise issues, etc. All of this is helped if it is backed by an experienced diabetic team that includes not only a doctor, but a nurse educator, a nutrionist and a medical social worker.