Question:

From New York, USA:

My doctor says I need to cut my sugar and sodium intake and I am clueless as to what I can drink besides spring water. Is Nutrasweet a non-sugar or another form of sugar? I was drinking low sodium, no caffeine Sprite and he said that Sprite and all soda is full of sugar.

Answer:

The sugar free caffeine free drinks made with Sucralose and Nutrasweet (a brand name for aspartame) are safe. Regular soda has about 9 teaspoons of sugar per 12 ounces of soda. There are caffeine-free teas on the market, as well as sugar-free lemonade mix and Koolaid as well. The carbonated waters, as long as they are not flavored with syrups, are also a good choice. Check the nutrition information on the label of foods. Each product will have a total amount of carbohydrate on it for the serving size listed at the top of the label. 15 grams of carbohydrate is equal to a slice of bread, a piece of fruit and about 8 ounces of skim milk. If it is possible, see if you can make an appointment with a dietitian to help you develop a meal plan that will help you attain your health goals.

JM