Question:

From Davenport, Iowa, USA:

My younger sister was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. She is 10 years old and is afraid to give herself her own injections. She has no problem pricking her fingers for blood sugar checks. Is there anything I can say to her or a book she could read that would help her to feel better about giving her own injections?

Answer:

If your sister was just recently diagnosed, I would not push her to do shots yet. If she is doing her blood sugars, and getting used to the whole routine of diabetes, that is enough for now. Some ten year olds would be ready to do their shots, others need a little more time. If she is having trouble with putting the needle in her skin, there are devices such as the Inject-Ease which would help put the needle in the skin (kind of a lancet device for the shots). You still need to draw up the insulin and push in the plunger. In the meantime, the support of her family and friends is the most important thing. Diabetes camp is a safe place to learn to give the first shot, and a great support for a child with diabetes.

LM