From Wyoming, USA:

Whenever I get ketones I get a burning sensation that is very painful in my throat. Is this caused by ketones? What exactly is going on? It happens even if I have trace ketones sometimes. I am 18 with Type 1 diabetes.

It is a little difficult to answer your question without a much more detailed medical history; but what I think is the most likely explanation of your symptoms is that you have been in poor control for some time and have developed what is called an autonomic neuropathy which is delaying stomach emptying and at the same time causing a reflux oesophagitis. You should talk to your doctor about this because you might be helped not only by getting into better control; but by the drug metoclopramide. There is also a newer and reputedly more effective drug for this called Prilosec; but it is very expensive. Another theory is that any time you get into ketoacidosis IGF-1 and NGF levels in the autonomic nervous system are decreased and thus produce a similar; but more temporary neuropathy; the reason for mentioning this is that NGF or Nerve Growth Factor is expected to be approved soon and might be helpful to you.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA