From Arlington, Vermont, USA:

My daughter, who is 28 years old and pregnant with her first child, has just been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I am concerned because I do not know anything about it, and would like some information about it. Could you please help me?

Diabetes is due to either a lack of insulin or resistance of the body to respond to insulin. Gestational diabetes is a condition of elevated blood sugar occurring during pregnancy. These mothers make plenty of insulin. However, some of the hormones produced during pregnancy will block the action of insulin causing an elevation in blood sugar values. If untreated, the elevated blood sugars can result in a large baby and transient problems with blood sugar control as a newborn. This does not mean that the baby will have diabetes. Usually gestational diabetes can be managed with a special diet. Sometimes insulin injections are required.

Posted to Gestational Diabetes