Question:

From Arthur City, Texas, USA:

My 2 year old son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes in September 1999. My concern is with Y2K computer problem. Will insurance companies pay for supplies for a year or more in advance? What is the best way to store insulin up to one year?

Answer:

Each insurance company has different policies about how much of a particular drug they will pay for at a time. You should check with your insurance company for details.

If you are interested in storing insulin, check the expiration date on the vials you buy to be sure it will remain "in date" beyond the last date you might use it. Insulin is best stored in the refrigerator, but never frozen. If frozen, the insulin should be discarded.

JSH