Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My 4 year old son weighs 70 pounds and I am concerned that his excessive weight is not caused from his eating habits. I have recently started documenting his intake of food per day and even tried a light diet. He is still gaining weight. I have spoken with another physician who indicated that this may be hyperinsulinemia, in such that he is producing too much insulin. I am wondering what signs or symptoms I should be looking for.

Answer:

I think eating habits are always implicated in a case such as your son's weight gain; even in the rare case of hyperinsulinemia, from a practical point of view what matters at the end is to reduce caloric intake. Ask for a referral to a pediatric dietitian.