From Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA:

I have a 19 month old daughter who was diagnosed with Nesidioblastosis after birth. I was wondering if this means my husband and I will pass this same thing on to another child. We have learned it is a genetic disease.

There have been several reports in recent years that suggest that in many if not most instances nesidioblastosis (or hyperinsulinemic hypoglycemia of infancy) is inherited as an autosomal recessive. The evidence is indirect and comes from the high incidence of consanguinity amongst the parents, the even gender distribution and the overall incidence of real and suspected cases in family trees. So far there is no means of confirming heterozygosity; but this pattern of inheritance would mean that 1:4 of subsequent children would also be affected. It has been shown however that the diagnosis can be made before birth by measuring insulin and C-peptide levels in the foetus. If you have access to a medical library you might like to look at a paper by D.A.Woolf in the Archives of Disease in Childhood, Vol. 66, page 529, 1991 for one review of this issue.

Posted to Nesidioblastosis