Question:

From Pennsylvania, USA:

My daughter is three and a half years old. She was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes over a year ago. Today she was diagnosed with vesicoureteral reflux and I'm concerned for the health of her kidneys. We've been maintaining fairly good control with her last two HA1C's at 8.2 and 7. Her pediatrician has placed her on low dose antibiotics and she is to be re-tested in a year to see if she has grown out of the reflux problem.

I'm wondering if any other diabetics have encountered this problem posing a "second risk" to their kidneys and if so if it has been handled any differently than the same problem in a non-diabetic.

Answer:

You are wise to be concerned. The two are different diseases and are treated individually. The typical approach to reflux is being followed. Go with it.

As far as the diabetes is concerned, keep up the good work.