From Michigan, USA:

My daughter is 11 and was diagnosed with Type 1 last summer. She is on NPH and R in fairly low doses at this time and her blood sugars are fairly good but a bit erratic because we are still in the trial and error stage. Also, living in a rural area, our family physician has had very little experience with type 1 children (like none). My husband has heard that Chromium Piccolate can be beneficial in helping to slow the absorption of carbohydrate thus helping to keep blood sugars on a more even keel. Have there been any studies on this? Will extra chromium hurt her?

Although there is some reason for optimism with the use of chromium supplementation in diabetes, more research needs to be completed. Chromium is an essential trace element that is required for effective insulin action. Some studies have shown benefit from supplemental chromium in various forms and others have shown no benefits.

As far as I know there are no studies that have been done with Type 1 diabetes, just anecdotal stories that it can be beneficial. All studies have been done on people with Type 2 diabetes, often not on insulin. We do not know the side effects of long-term chromium supplementation (does it accumulate somewhere and cause harm later on, etc.) The American Diabetes Association does not endorse taking supplements of it. Keep in mind there are several forms of chromium available on the market. I would suggest stopping the supplements.

Posted to Alternative Therapies and Explanations