Question:

From Hawthorne, New York, USA:

I live with my Grandmother. She has had diabetes for a pretty long time and she is 80 years old this year. She just received a new meter. She has had trouble using it and keeping it calibrated to the right number.

My girlfriend informed me of another meter. I have never heard of it but she told me that it is said to be very easy to use.

My Grandmother does not understand how to use a lot of the other products that are out there and they just discontinued her old machine's testing strips. If you know if this is a better product or of another easy to use product please let me know.

Answer:

I know how frustrating it can be when equipment does not work as you expected it would. The new meters in general have a very good reputation. I would suggest, rather than buying anything new just yet, call the 1-800 number on the back and tell them the trouble you are having. If it is the machine, they will send you a new one within a day or two. They will also walk you and your grandmother through the testing process to make sure there are no problems with her technique.

KS