Question:

From New York, USA:

My daughter, age 19, diagnosed at age 10, has generally had A1Cs of around 7. She is very active and in college. We are wondering about the pump for her. She thinks it will be no better than taking shots since you have to change it every 2 days anyway and you have to be so strict with eating schedules, which is very hard to do with college life. Can you shed some light on the pros and cons of the pump?

Answer:

I'm not sure where your daughter got her information. Wearing an insulin pump gives a person with diabetes a lot more flexibility in terms of what and when to eat. It allows for spontaneity: for example, if she suddenly decided she wanted to eat something, she could give herself and extra bolus for that amount of food either before she it (or right after if using Humalog). In addition, basal rates can be adjusted quickly when the need arises. College life necessitates frequent schedule changes including eating and sleeping patterns. An insulin pump affords the most flexibility in this regard.

I would strongly suggest that she contact her diabetes team and discuss the realities of pump use, or she can also contact the insulin pump manufacturers for more detailed information. Remember that the decision needs to be hers, not yours, and that it will take a few weeks to get a pump properly adjusted should she decide to go with it.

Also, congratulations to your daughter for doing such a great managing her diabetes.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps