Question:

From London, Ontario, Canada:

My son is 11 years old and was diagnosed Type 1 10 months ago. He is currently injecting a total of 8 units of Regular and 12 units of NPH daily. I have been told that he is still "honeymooning" and I understand his requirement for insulin will increase as he grows. Is there a general rule of thumb for units of insulin required in relation to size and weight? What is the average dosage for a child 148 cm tall and 112 pounds who is no longer producing any insulin himself?

Answer:

The general rule for replacement insulin is in the range of 0.8-1.2 units per kilogram of body weight per day. Activity and stage of puberty has a role. So about 40 units is a good answer for your question.