Question:

From Perth, W. A., Australia:

My 5 year old son has Type 1. He was diagnosed about 6 months ago. The problem I have is getting him to eat. It is a total nightmare at mealtimes. Sometimes the meal can take up to an hour or longer. I have to physically feed him otherwise he will not eat at all. What suggestions do you have to help me overcome this problem?

Answer:

I hope you have a diabetes team and/or a parent support group that can help you with this issue. It actually boils down to control and your son understands he has control over you. Best bet is to take back the control, but don't let him know you are doing that. Involved him in meal preparation and offer him choices at mealtimes (carrots or green beans tonight?) Also, please discuss with your diabetes team giving a fast-acting insulin (Humalog) after the meal so you only give enough to cover what he has eaten. Then the battle is kind of over.

LSF

[Editor's comment: I highly recommend Sweet Kids: How to Balance Diabetes Control & Good Nutrition with Family Peace by Betty Page Brackenridge, MS, RD, CDE & Richard R. Rubin, PhD, CDE. This book deals with exactly the situation you describe. JSH]