Question:

From Liverpool, England:

I have been a diabetic for 3 years and I control it, quite successfully, through diet and exercise. For the past month I have suffered with cold legs and feet and chronic leg and foot cramps (particularly at night), causing sleeplessness. Are these problems likely to be related to diabetes?

Answer:

The leg and feet problems you have been having may be related to your diabetes or other causes. I would suggest you seek the consult of a foot specialist to determine if you are having problems with circulation, nerve sensations, or something else.

I can understand your worry and concern. Having had diabetes for such a short time, especially well controlled, it's not as common to have side-effects as you describe so soon. You didn't mention your age, but many adults diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes here in the US have actually had the disease undetected for 5 or more years before they are found. This may or may not be the case with you.

Again, my best advice to you is to see a foot specialist, continue to manage your diabetes within normal blood sugar range, as well as your blood pressure and lipids.

KS