Question:

From Nueva Helvecia, Uruguay :

My son is 15 years old and has Type 1 diabetes. I have two questions:

1. How far are we for "cloning" islets?
  2. Is stevia recommended as a sugar substitute for diabetics?

Answer:

To reverse the order of your questions, stevia is a safe substitute for sugar for people with diabetes.

Islet cells are not easy to grow in culture but so far it has not been possible to do this on a scale that could meet transplant needs and lend itself to harvesting when needed. 'Cloning' involves the cultivation of human stem cells which has been recently achieved, but the technology of directing them exclusively towards insulin producing beta cells is still a long way off; but not beyond what is someday possible.

Posted to Research: Cure and Meal Planning, Food and Diet