Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

I started counting carbs about a year ago. I am on a 1200 calorie diet: 36 carbs per meal and 3 snacks of 19 each. I exercise 40 minutes a day, but recently have stopped losing weight. I try to eat a low fat diet, also. I am type 2 diabetes; my daughter is also. What do you recommend I do to start losing weight again? I have lost 38 pounds in a year and have very good control of my sugar levels, averaging around 106 daily.

Answer:

What great progress you've made; congratulations! Your blood sugar control sounds like it is staying near the normal range, which is by far the most important thing you can do about your diabetes to protect your health.

Losing 38 pounds in a year is great. The fact that you kept losing weight for so long on the same 1200 calorie meal plan is actually quite unusual. Most people plateau well before you did. You don't say how near your goal weight you have come. That would have a bearing on what you might best do next. Whatever your ultimate goal, however, I would not recommend further dropping your calorie intake. Extreme dieting most often leads to feelings of deprivation, followed by an inability to control food intake, and ultimately, a regaining cycle.

The best advice that I can provide at this time is to be keep up your healthy eating practices and increase your exercise program in both time and intensity. Also, speak to a personal trainer about adding some strength training to your workout. Building a larger muscle mass can increase your ongoing need for calories while helping to improve your body composition.

Lifelong weight management is a real challenge. You have made a wonderful beginning. Invest some time in activities and people you enjoy and have a great time. When you're busy and active, food has much less power to control your life.

BB