From Missouri, USA:

My son, age 13, has been diabetic since age 6. He is now having extreme difficulty in accepting the fact that his disease his chronic. His frustration and anger has grown to the point that I don't know how to help him. He is on intensive therapy doing carb counting. I have tried to tell him that he must follow the diet and other guidelines so that if, and when, a cure comes, he will hopefully not have the results of complications. Can you give me any suggestions for helping him to cope?

Try and get your son involved in the local ADA or JDF teen support group in your area. Peer relationships are the most important at this stage of development. A problem solving approach will be more effective than a punitive approach. Help him with his diabetes management by being supportive, taking time to sit with him while he tests his glucose levels, discussing dosing and planning meals.

Nagging and talking about complications is rarely effective in developing compliance. Some suggestions to consider trying:

On Saturdays, do his shot for him, bring him breakfast in bed and let him sleep in a little.

Have him make out the grocery list, do the shopping and participate in meal planning and preparation.

Get him connected with other kids his age who have diabetes.

Remember, you're helping him learn to manage his diabetes independently. It won't be long before he's off to college or work.

Posted to Behavior and Puberty