Question:

From Dorchester, Massachusetts, USA:

I have had diabetes for almost twelve years; nobody has been able to get it under control. I also have a disease called celiac disease which interferes with my diabetes. What should I do?

Answer:

A good endocrine/diabetes center and a patient willing to do what it takes, shots, pens, or pump, and most diabetes can be controlled. Celiac disease does interfere with diet choices, but can be managed.

If you're not under the care of a comprehensive diabetes team, including an experienced dietitian, I'd suggest that you discuss a referral to one with your physician.