Question:

From Overland Park, Kansas, USA:

I have been diabetic for almost 4 years. I am 19, and I have always had good control (65-120 sugar reading). Recently my sugars have jumped to 296 and I feel like I am having a low. I have contacted my meter's company to verify my machine is working proper and contacted my doctor too. I would love to know why my body has all the sudden decided to have full-blown diabetes now and why I still feel like I am having a low.

Answer:

You may have been lucky and had a long term honeymoon. I don't know your insulin dose per kilogram of body weight, but if it was really low until recently, you probably had a long honeymoon. Most don't, so count yourself lucky.

Now, the low feelings: I wonder if you might have been low earlier, and now see the highs. Look for that.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA