From Minnesota, USA:

I have heard of two different studies regarding diabetics taking Vitamin E. I think it is a very good vitamin and had planned on starting my son on it (he is 14 and was diagnosed with Type 1 last year). But, one report said it helped (taking 800 i.u. daily) and one report said that it could make the person insulin resistant. Do you have information on any other studies regarding Vitamin E -- does the amount make the difference as to whether it's helpful or not?

Also, what does drawback technique mean when referring to injections?

I looked in the newest clinical practice recommendations from ADA and there is no mention of taking extra Vitamin E. I think I found the studies to which you were referring and the Boston study used 1800 IU Vitamin E -- they did find some normalizing of diabetic changes in the retina. The other study was done in Japan and harder to interpret, but I would not suggest any supplementation of this Vitamin. It is fat-soluble and can accumulate in the body and cause worse problems.

The drawback technique or aspiration is to check to see if the insulin is being injected into a blood vessel. Basically you fill the syringe, insert the needle and pull back a small amount of air and see if there is blood. If insulin is injected directly into the blood stream you can get some rapid severe hypoglycemia, but this aspiration method is really not recommended. This is because blood in the syringe happens very rarely and you could pull out the needle, especially with the short needles. We do not recommend it at the facility where I work.