Question:

From Denver, Colorado, USA:

I am 25 and was recently diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. My blood sugar becomes much higher 3-4 days before menstruation. It appears unrelated to food or exercise. If it is hormonal could you explain this and how I may be able to achieve better control at these times? I am new to adjusting insulin levels, so I have not tried that approach. I use both Regular and NPH.

Answer:

Variation in your hormone levels such as occur during the menstrual cycle may have some effect on your glucose control. Since you are still in the process of adjusting your insulin dosing, your blood sugar values may smooth out over time.

If it is a persistent problem, you may want to consider birth control pills. These will give you a fairly steady blood level of estrogen and progesterone and may make blood sugar control easier. However, be aware of increased risk of blood clot formation. So, discuss this with your endocrinologist.

Posted to Hyperglycemia and DKA