Question:

From Virginia, USA:

I am a very active 22 year old who just graduated from college. I have a very erratic schedule and am finding it hard to maintain blood sugars. I am interested in a pump as I am injecting 2-5 units of Humalog every time I eat and 2-5 units of NPH at night. I am allergic to Ultralente. How many units of insulin must a person take per day to be eligible for a pump? Oh, I was diagnosed about 11 months ago.

Answer:

Insurance requirements for pump users vary a lot. You or your diabetes educator need to check out your particular plan to find out what those requirement are. Both pump companies have people also who will check into things for you. Sounds to me like you would do very well on a pump.

SS

Posted to Insulin Pumps