Question:

From Virginia, USA:

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes a few weeks ago. In the hospital, they gave us a chart of injection sites to use. Do you have a chart or something that we can follow for a child 10 years old? The rotation given did not include the stomach even though I know that is an excellent site.

Answer:

There are various approaches to site rotation. The main thing is not to overuse one spot so that lipohypertrophy does not develop. Once kids get hypertrophied areas, it can be hard to convince them to switch to a new area (as they don't feel the shots as much in the hypertrophied area). Insulin is probably not absorbed as evenly from a hypertrophied area.

Insulin is absorbed into the bloodstream at different rates depending on the injection site used. The abdomen is the quickest site, followed by the arms, and legs and buttocks. Instead of rotating sites continuously, some people will use one site in the A.M., a different in the P.M., etc. Make sure you move around to all the sites available on each extremity and area.

Speak to your diabetes team for individual advice.

LM