Question:

From Walnut Creek, California, USA:

My 9 year old daughter has had diabetes for 5 years. She takes 3 shots a day. We are using B-D Ultra-Fine II 3/10cc syringes (short needles). Several times during the past year, during her morning shot (approximately 23 units of H and L), the plunger becomes "stuck" in the middle of the shot. Any information on whether we alone are experiencing this and ideas to prevent it would be appreciated.

Answer:

Every child with diabetes in my school (that would be ten kids) says that they periodically have trouble with the plunger sticking in their syringes. They say it happens most with the BD 1/3cc short needle, but they have had it happen with other types too. No one had a great answer for fixing it. Some of them always pump the syringe back and forth before they use it.

It certainly is a frustrating problem, especially when the syringe won't work at all and you have to start over and restick the child. I would encourage you to notify BD of your difficulties so that they can work on this problem (perhaps if they hear from enough people the problem can be fixed).

LW

Additional Comments from Lois Schmidt Finney, diabetes dietitian:

Sometimes, we have found that moving the plunger in a clockwise or counterclockwise motion will do the trick.

LSF

Additional comment added 28 May 1999