Question:

From Palm Beach, Florida, USA:

Our grandson, diagnosed 1 year ago, now age 11, has no information on salt intake. Is there any restriction on it? He will be visiting soon and I would like to know about salt.

Answer:

The recommendation for salt intake for all individuals holds for people with diabetes as well. If there is no high blood pressure, salt in moderation is okay. Most children have some days of fairly high salt intake and some days with low salt intake. Unless the doctor has specifically indicated a restriction, I would say just normal dietary salt amounts will work well.

JM