Back to Ask the Diabetes Team Questions from Apr 1999

Do you have a question you want to ask to an experienced team of diabetes Health Professionals? The health care professionals of the Diabetes Team lend their many years of experience to answer your questions. Be sure to read the Diabetes Team Disclaimer and the Message from the Diabetes Team. You can review the credentials of our Diabetes Team members by clicking on their names below or on their initials in each answer.

[ Topical Index | Current Questions | Nov 15 | Oct 15 | Sep 15 | Aug 15 | Jul 15 | Jun 15 | More... | Submit Question ]

1. I have had diabetes now for six and a half years. I still have not been able to get a handle on it, and I'm a bit confused as to the next step I should take. Any suggestions? (30 Apr 1999)

2. I have Type 1 and am a beer enthusiast. When you drink alcohol, does this interfere with the effectiveness of glucagon? (30 Apr 1999)

3. I am a 26 year old female and have had type 1 diabetes for 14 years. Until recently my control has been good, but for the last 8 to 10 weeks I have had chronic diarrhoea and have lost about 10 kg. This problem is really getting me down and I am suffering some stress over it. (30 Apr 1999)

4. I understand that one of the first signs of developing diabetes is a rise in the two-hour fasting blood glucose reading. What would be considered an abnormally high reading for a 7-year-old child? (30 Apr 1999)

5. My 8-year-old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 7 months ago. Lately, she has had problems going low during the night and waking up with high blood sugars. Are there any nighttime snacks you can recommend that can get her through the night? (30 Apr 1999)

6. What is the relation between degree of hyperopia and the sugar level in the blood? (25 Apr 1999)

7. Why does my tongue become numb with low glucose levels? Sometimes the tip of my fingers will also become numb. (25 Apr 1999)

8. Where am I allowed to test my blood? (25 Apr 1999)

9. I'm fourteen and have had diabetes for 14 years. How much insulin is too much? I take 13-16 Humalog and 45-46 NPH. (25 Apr 1999)

10. Has there ever been any research done on the trace mineral chromium and how it affects blood sugar levels in type 1 diabetics? (25 Apr 1999)

11. I am 18. I am 10 weeks pregnant. I am scared to death of the possible birth defects my blood sugar beforehand and the first month of pregnancy caused. Can you please tell me what I could have done to my child? (25 Apr 1999)

12. From time to time I get a rash in my groin in the crease between the pubic area and my upper thighs. My doctor tells me that it is a diabetic yeast infection. What is the proper treatment? (25 Apr 1999)

13. I am a 13 year old with diabetes. When I go to the diabetic specialist, he gives me a paper saying my results. It said that pH was 5. What is pH? (25 Apr 1999)

14. Can you tell me how I can obtain insulin syringes with 1/2 unit calibration graduations? (25 Apr 1999)

15. My 5 year old daughter has a dentist appointment coming up and I was wondering if there is anything specific either my dentist or I should know that would affect her treatment. (25 Apr 1999)

16. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. I recently read some information on the alternative drug (herb) ProBeta. Do you have any information on this product? (24 Apr 1999)

17. My son come up with an idea for a non-reusable syringe. Is this an important thing for children with diabetes? (24 Apr 1999)

18. I need to know where to get information on the emotional effects diabetes has on children and other family members. I have been a diabetic for 13 years, and have a child that doesn't want anyone to know her mother is a diabetic. (24 Apr 1999)

19. My son was always a slow grower many years before being diagnosed with type 1 at almost 16 years. He always appeared to be many years younger. Will he ever look his age? (24 Apr 1999)

20. Do you have any information on a study which was presented to the American Diabetes Association in June, 1998 by Barry Sears ("The Zone") and a doctor named Kahl which details a dietary approach that enables a diabetic to reduce medication? (24 Apr 1999)

21. Please explain what is meant by a "carb" and its relation to the amount of insulin units required to metabolize it. (24 Apr 1999)

22. I have a 12 year old son with Type 1 diabetes. When suspicious of my 8 year old eating and drinking more than usual, I tested his blood glucose around 1:00 a.m., which was at 176. Could he be in the early stages of Type 1 diabetes? (24 Apr 1999)

23. I understand that the mechanism by which high blood sugar causes this neuropathy is under research. But can anyone tell me the blood sugar level at which this neuropathy occurs? (24 Apr 1999)

24. My son is eleven years old and has been diabetic for two years now. He is having hypos about once a day although they are quite mild. Last night my son suddenly had a very bad hypo. Could you tell us what the reason for this might have been? (24 Apr 1999)

25. I am curious as to what the difference is for people who take a pill and use insulin for diabetes. (24 Apr 1999)

26. Are there any A1c Hgb or fructosamine monitors for the patient for home use in diabetes? (24 Apr 1999)

27. Our 3 year old son finds it very uncomfortable to inject and we have just been told about the Inject-ease. Do you think this might help make it easier? (22 Apr 1999)

28. I need the nutrient content of Vietnamese foods for a patient of mine who is a pregnant Vietnamese woman with Gestational Diabetes. (22 Apr 1999)

29. I am a 23 year old African American, recently diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. My lab test result shows that I have normal insulin level but high glycohemoglobin. Can this mean that I am actually type 2? (22 Apr 1999)

30. I have had type 1 diabetes for 20 years I am now 23. I was given the okay by all my doctors to get pregnant. I heard that your blood sugars rise when you get pregnant and suddenly drop with no warning. How soon after conceiving does this happen? (22 Apr 1999)

31. I have a 7 year old son that was just released from the hospital after a week-long fever and admitted with a blood sugar of 42 and discharged with a value of 218. This happens every 2-3 months. They do not classify him as diabetic. Is this harmful in the long run on his organs? (22 Apr 1999)

32. What measures should I take to care for my insulin should we lose power when the year 2000 arrives? What is the longest insulin can be at room temperature? (22 Apr 1999)

33. My sugar count went up during the holidays to as high as 335 and now at 280. Is the 335 a very serious number? (22 Apr 1999)

34. My daughter, age 11, was recently diagnosed with Type 2. I have heard that this is rare for a child her age. Can you tell me what percentage of children have Type 2? Also, is MODY and Type 2 the same thing? (22 Apr 1999)

35. How much does the insulin affect the child's weight? My child needs to lose some weight but I don't want her to know she is on a diet. (22 Apr 1999)

36. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes about eight months ago. Recently, I noticed that after two hours of dinner my sugar will be between 180 and 220. Does this mean that my sugar is not controlled anymore and I need to take some medication? (22 Apr 1999)

37. I am a male age 57. Last week I had a glucose reading at my doctor's office. The reading was 185. I weigh 284 pounds as of this morning and am trying to lose weight and get this reading down. What would a safe or a normal glucose reading be in my situation? (20 Apr 1999)

38. I am a 30 year old with insulin dependent diabetes (for 15 years), and having problems dealing with autonomic neuropathy. Do you know of any other young adults with these problems? (20 Apr 1999)

39. My son has been thirsty for two days, so I checked his sugar and it was 440. We went to the doctor and they think he may have juvenile diabetes. Do you think this is juvenile diabetes? (20 Apr 1999)

40. I was playing checkers with my son when I noticed he kept touching and playing with his lips. Then he said that his lips were itchy. I started to worry about the insulin or byproducts/preservatives in insulin. Are there any preservatives in insulin that can cause itchy lips? (20 Apr 1999)

41. My 15 year old son has Type 1 diabetes. When my son gets a headache and is nauseated to the point of becoming ill and it is time for his insulin, what would the normal procedure be for calculating how much insulin to give him? (20 Apr 1999)

42. My 18 year old son has been insulin dependent for 8 years. This year he started college. Tonight he called and told me that a diabetic student at the university he attends died last night in his dorm room. (20 Apr 1999)

43. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 23 years and am now 28 years old. I have had 2 successful pregnancies and after my second one I had a tubal ligation. Will a reversal affect my diabetes at all? (20 Apr 1999)

44. My grandfather, aged 75, has been recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes. At his visit he was given a diet but proceeded to lose it almost immediately. Is there anywhere on the Internet that a diabetic diet can be obtained and if so, where? (20 Apr 1999)

45. I have diabetes and am looking for information on how to become a Certified Diabetes Educator. (20 Apr 1999)

46. My two year old son has had diabetes for almost one year. His numbers are all over the place however, and very unpredictable. His endocrinologist has not made any creative suggestions to achieve better control. (20 Apr 1999)

47. My son is 15 with type 1 diabetes for 4 years. His insulin is decreased for long or heavy exercise and takes an extra snack at night and has extra snacks during exercise. However, one or two days after heavy exercise he will often wake up with a hypo reaction. (20 Apr 1999)

48. I found out two years ago I have Type 2 diabetes. I am confused about the use of sugar. My doctor told me to avoid sugar and sugar related foods in my diet. (20 Apr 1999)

49. My grandmother was diagnosed with hypoglycemia many years ago and has been able to control it through a proper diet. About six months ago my 13 year old son and I were diagnosed with hypoglycemia and I have had some trouble controlling mine through diet. (20 Apr 1999)

50. I am a 27-year old Type 1 diabetic diagnosed 10 years ago. Last year I had several episodes of extremely low blood sugars in the mornings , two of which necessitated trips to the ER. This was not only traumatic for me and my wife, but also hurt our insurance standing. (20 Apr 1999)

51. My 13 year old son has had Type 1 diabetes since he was 9. We are usually adjusting some part of his insulin dose 2-3 times a month. Is this considered the normal regimen for trying to maintain good-tight control, which we rarely seem to have for any length of time? (20 Apr 1999)

52. My seven year old granddaughter was just diagnosed diabetes. Her blood sugar was 490. What is the best course for me to take to make this child's life as normal as possible? (19 Apr 1999)

53. My nephew, who is 5, was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes 6 months ago. When one sibling gets it, does the other? Can my family get tested for antibodies? (19 Apr 1999)

54. I have had diabetes for 11 years and everything has gone very well, but recently I have been having very bad hypo's where everything goes numb. Also I get a tingly sensation in my foot every now and then -- is this normal and should i be worried about any of these happenings? (19 Apr 1999)

55. I am 38 years old and was diagnosed last summer with type 2 diabetes. I need to lose weight. I would like to try carbohydrate counting. I know exercise is important and I am trying to add walking daily. How many carbohydrates should I eat a day and at each meal? (19 Apr 1999)

56. Ever since my 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with type 1 at age 13 months, it has always been a problem what to give her to drink. How do you feel about "a carb is a carb" and am I doing her harm by trying to stick with "normal" food? (19 Apr 1999)

57. My 16-month-old son frequently has breath that smells like nail polish remover, has not gained more than a pound or two in the past 6 months or so, still nurses (he does eat solids, of course) frequently and I am concerned that he might have type 1 diabetes. (19 Apr 1999)

58. My daughter is 16 and has had Type 1 diabetes since 7. She has been in situations recently where others have been deciding her menu. I cannot find the "ADA Diet" on the Internet but I know what they are telling me is not current information. (19 Apr 1999)

59. I have a 6 year old boy newly diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. We have other children in the district who have diabetes, and we have staff trained in using glucagon injection for a hypoglycemic reaction. This child's doctor states she would not want anyone in the school to give the injection except an RN. (19 Apr 1999)

60. I am a parent of a 13 year old daughter who was diagnosed with diabetes at age 2 years. I am very interested in becoming a CDE, but cannot qualify for the two years experience working with diabetics full time. (19 Apr 1999)

61. After reading the index of questions, I am still uncertain as to what the "average" blood sugar levels should be for a 6 year old. (19 Apr 1999)

62. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with diabetes type 1 just a month ago. I have read about the glycemic index. Is this terribly important in planning meals? (17 Apr 1999)

63. I am insulin dependent and so is my 6 year old son. I have been hearing of a strong link between young children with diabetes and celiac disease. (17 Apr 1999)

64. My daughter has had pneumonia for the second time. Her sugar levels have been volatile during this illness and ketones have ranged from small to large for one week solid. What can I do? (17 Apr 1999)

65. My boyfriend has Type 1 diabetes and our relationship is becoming quite serious. Unfortunately, he suffers from occasional impotence. What can be done? (17 Apr 1999)

66. What have you found to be the best evening snack to avoid hypoglycemia during the night or early morning? (17 Apr 1999)

67. What is the difference between foods with sugar alcohol and regular sugar? I've noticed sugar free candy has just as much carbs and sugar alcohol as regular candy. (17 Apr 1999)

68. I have a 4 year old son who has type 1 diabetes. For no calorie food such as vegetables, can he have them freely? (17 Apr 1999)

69. I have a 6 year old son just recently diagnosed 2 months ago who complains with his stomach burning all the time. Is this a common complaint with type 1 diabetes? (17 Apr 1999)

70. My son is in the honeymoon phase of this disease. What would happen if he stopped injecting the insulin until his blood sugar started going up again? (17 Apr 1999)

71. Our 6 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes at age 17 months. His A.M. shot lasts him all day usually with no evening shot. He experiences morning lows of 50-60 whether he goes to bed with a reading of 150-300. (17 Apr 1999)

72. My 9 year old daughter who has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes for 3 years often complains of tummy aches. (17 Apr 1999)

73. When first diagnosed, we were told it may be a hormonal imbalance causing the symptoms. How do we know that is not the case? (17 Apr 1999)

74. What is happening in your body when you are having an insulin reaction? (14 Apr 1999)

75. My 9-year-old daughter was diagnosed at 2 1/2. A year ago, our endo suggested we change from Regular to Humalog. Lately, she has been complaining of "not feeling well" after an injection. (14 Apr 1999)

76. Our 7 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about two years ago. She has maintained good sugars until this past summer. In December we found her on the floor one morning unconscious. We thought she had experienced a hypoglycemia episode, but her blood sugar level was reading 14.9 mmol/L. (14 Apr 1999)

77. I am curious as to what the difference is for people who take a pill and use insulin for diabetes. (14 Apr 1999)

78. We are wondering when exactly the "Dawn Phenomenon" takes place and what is the average rise in blood sugar at that time. We are having a hard time pinpointing the time that our son's blood sugar rises. (14 Apr 1999)

79. I am 43 and was diagnosed a year and a half ago with Type 1 diabetes. My C-peptide was in range by one tenth (1.0, bottom of range was .9) showing I was Type 2 but was told that wasn't high enough for my age and activity levels. (14 Apr 1999)

80. My daughter is 13 1/2 years old. We are having a very difficult keeping her counts within the healthy range, particularly during the day. (14 Apr 1999)

81. My 22 year old daughter is 4 months pregnant. Because of the need for tight control she's experiencing many severe reactions, some resulting in seizures. (14 Apr 1999)

82. We are currently looking for a small pocket size food exchange book, or a slide rule type of index similar to Weight Watchers. Is there such a thing available? (12 Apr 1999)

83. Do children under 5, diagnosed with diabetes, present symptoms of hyperactivity or are these two separate issues? (12 Apr 1999)

84. In your opinion, would children who have recently been diagnosed with diabetes and have been in mouldy portable classrooms have any health risks by remaining in these portables? (12 Apr 1999)

85. We have been hearing a lot about non-invasive meters such as the GlucoWatch. We were at a recent support group meeting with a guest endocrinologist speaker who mentioned that interstitial tissue monitoring will not replace blood glucose monitoring because studies have shown that interstitial tissue fluid 'lags behind' blood glucose by about half an hour. (12 Apr 1999)

86. I am a type 1 diabetic, age 55. I am going on two brief trips to Washington DC soon, one 2-day and one 3-day. Can someone please advise me on how I should factor in the time change when taking my shots and meals? (12 Apr 1999)

87. A co-worker of my sister recently said his 4-year old daughter had been diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. He told my sister that his daughter's doctor said she had caught it from a virus and that she must have been in the "wrong place at the wrong time". (12 Apr 1999)

88. I am a 44 year old female insulin dependent diabetic. I have had diabetes for 30 years and am in excellent control. For the third time in 2 1/2 years, I have been diagnosed with a trigger finger. (12 Apr 1999)

89. My 3 year old granddaughter is very difficult to control. Nevertheless, her last HbA1c was 7%. Her endocrinologist expressed concern that this was too low! He said that she might suffer some brain damage. (12 Apr 1999)

90. My 12 year old son broke his leg after being hit by an automobile about 6 months ago and his leg still hasn't healed. Could his Type 1 Diabetes be a cause of the lack of healing and is there anything else we can do to help? (10 Apr 1999)

91. Our 5 year old son was diagnosed Type 1 just 3 months ago. He complains about his back, chest and sides near underarms being very itchy. Is this related to diabetes? (10 Apr 1999)

92. I am a mother of an diabetic child and am very interested in statistical information about diabetes. Can you give me an Internet address with information about this? (10 Apr 1999)

93. I would like to know what the percentage is of children with diabetes is whot have fathers or mothers in or affiliated with the military. (10 Apr 1999)

94. During my wife's pregnancies, she was diabetic and both our children were over 8 pounds when born. What is the likelihood that our two children (ages 4 and 1) will become diabetic? (10 Apr 1999)

95. My son is on Actrapid before meals and Protaphane in the evening. Does it make a difference if he gets it at 20:00 or at 2:100, which seems to result in less episodes of low readings at about 22:30 (10:30 pm) when I test him again? (10 Apr 1999)

96. My 14 month old grandson has just been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes. I've looked for some information on the Internet regarding the latest treatment and handling of infants with diabetes but haven't had much luck. (10 Apr 1999)

97. My son was just diagnosed. Before his diagnoses he seemed calmer and more laid back, but now seems to be real energetic and almost to the point of hyperactivity. Is he just feeling better or could it be due to the insulin or bottled up feelings? (10 Apr 1999)

98. I would like to send my child who has Type 1 Diabetes to a Teen Support Group in my Area. She is 13 years old. Could I have the name and phone number of a place near me? (10 Apr 1999)

99. My baby was just diagnosed a month ago. She now has some illness and her numbers are over 600. It's hard to feed a baby when she doesn't want to eat. (10 Apr 1999)

100. Is it true that starting my son on solid foods later in life may help prevent diabetes? (10 Apr 1999)

101. I have had Type 1 diabetes for 26 years. Is the loss of memory during some hypoglycemic episodes normal? (10 Apr 1999)

102. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes two months ago. Our diabetes educator explained that we are trying to mimic the insulin production of the pancreas. (10 Apr 1999)

103. I am not adjusting to my diabetes. I want to deny it. I need a food guide. I have diabetes 2 and I really resent it. (10 Apr 1999)

104. I have a 3 year old that has had diabetes for 2 years. I was recently told that there is a insulin patch that you can wear. I have never heard of that. Is there such a thing? (10 Apr 1999)

105. Is diabetes an autoimmune problem? (8 Apr 1999)

106. My girlfriend of 22 has diabetes, and she frequently has high blood sugar levels. Is there a point where too much insulin can do harm? (8 Apr 1999)

107. How do glucometers work? (8 Apr 1999)

108. Can you please send any information you have on the effects of long term insulin use for children with diabetes? (8 Apr 1999)

109. My 11 year old son was diagnosed with diabetes six weeks ago and I am trying to learn. If alpha cell release of glucagon occurs in response to hypoglycemia then why does hypoglycemia occur? (4 Apr 1999)

110. I am looking for printed information and resources about diabetes in Spanish for an immigrant family whose teenage daughter has recently been diagnosed. Any recommendations from you are appreciated. (4 Apr 1999)

111. When screening for diabetes what is the solution that one drinks made of and in what quantities? (4 Apr 1999)

112. Where can I find information about Type 2 Diabetes in children? (4 Apr 1999)

113. Does the autoimmune response which destroys beta cells in the pancreas affect other pancreatic cells? (4 Apr 1999)

114. State law in Washington now prohibits disposing of "sharps" (needles, test strips, lancets, etc.) in the sanitary landfill. As a result we have moved from bleach bottles and used two liter pop bottles, but find "sharps" containers and disposal to be a hassle and expensive. (4 Apr 1999)

115. My 7 year old son has been a Type 1 diabetic for 3 years. Does Pramlintide (Amylin) taken with insulin provide better control? (4 Apr 1999)

116. I administer my son's insulin injection at 6:30 in the morning, but some mornings it can be at 7:15. Is it imperative that it be at the exact same time each day? (4 Apr 1999)

117. I am wondering why when carbs increase blood sugar within a short time in the system, they don't increase the amount of protein in a diet with the effort of reducing the amount of insulin required in a Type 1 diabetic. (4 Apr 1999)

118. I recently purchased an electric blanket.The instruction sheet said the blanket was not to be used by diabetics. What is the danger? Should I quit using the electric blanket? (4 Apr 1999)

119. If insulin is given after a meal, does it work in controlling your blood sugar level? (4 Apr 1999)

120. My daughter is 9 years old and got Type 1 diabetes at 8 years of age, after getting chickenpox. What relationship is there between chickenpox and diabetes? (4 Apr 1999)

121. I have a 15 year old male friend. He is a diabetic, and has been one since he was 1 or 2 years old. I have asked him many times to spend the night. Always at the last minute he can't. I heard somewhere that most diabetics wet the bed? Is this true. (4 Apr 1999)

122. For a young child with diabetes (age 8) who is given insulin injections 3 times a day, can their emotions be affected, and if so, how? What if anything, can be done to help an extremely sensitive (cries very easily) child? (4 Apr 1999)

123. In the past 4 years, my maternal grandparents, my mother, my maternal aunt and uncle and my sister have been diagnosed with diabetes. All of them were over 35 and overweight. What are the chances that I will develop this disease? (3 Apr 1999)

124. My 11 year old daughter has been using Ultralente for a couple of months in the evening. We were recently told that changes to Ultralente dosages take several days to take effect, and that the dosage should not be changed regularly. Is this correct? (3 Apr 1999)

125. I am 18 years old and have type 1 diabetes which was diagnosed 5 years back. I take 30 units insulin in morning and 20 units in evening (of 30/70) My sugar in uncontrolled. What should I do? (3 Apr 1999)

126. My grandson son was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes at the age of 2. He has been suffering from nightmares but when we test him during the nightmares, he is generally in a decent range, not too high nor low. (3 Apr 1999)

127. I have a son with Type 1 and a 3 year old son who has had several high sugars, but nothing consistent. He gets his glycohemoglobin tested yearly; he went from 4.8% to 6.8% in one year. Does this indicate that he could be at the beginning phase of diabetes? (3 Apr 1999)

128. What time should a 60 year old woman with Type 2 diabetes, who works 6 P.M. - 6 A.M. in a mill in 2on/2off schedule, take her bedtime insulin dose? (3 Apr 1999)

129. Is there any way you can help prevent peripheral neuropathy or autonomic neuropathy to occur at the age of 13? (3 Apr 1999)

130. My 5 year old daughter was diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes about three months ago, but antibodies to islet cells and insulin are negative. Is this relevant to the course of the diabetes or to prognosis for other autoinmune diseases or complications? (3 Apr 1999)

131. My 4.5 year old daughter was recently diagnosed with Type 1. You have stated that the current pumps would not be appropriate for her age, but that a "closed-loop pump" might be. How close is a "closed-loop pump" to the marketplace and which company(s) are developing it? (2 Apr 1999)

132. What effect will instances of high or low blood glucose have on the ability to comprehend and remember instructions? Is there a period of time after the sugar returns to normal that these functions could be impaired? (2 Apr 1999)

133. How do you differentiate between Type 1 and Type 2 diabetes in children if antibody testing has not been performed? Is it worthwhile to try oral medication in children instead of insulin to see if they respond? (2 Apr 1999)

134. My son is 21 has been a diabetic for 10 years now. He is away at school and is drinking a little. I would really like to know what effects this will have on him. (2 Apr 1999)

135. My 8 month old child has Type 1 diabetes. Can diabetes be brought on by antibiotics or medication of any kind? Can strep throat trigger Type 1 diabetes? (2 Apr 1999)

The Diabetes Team

Bill Jones, MD (Specialist in the management of diabetes during pregnancy, member since April 1997)
Marco Songini, MD (Italy) (Pediatric, adolescent, and adult endocrinologist and diabetologist, member since April 1997)
Larry Deeb, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since July 1998)
John Schulga, MBChB MRCGP MRCP FRCPCH (UK) (Consultant Paediatrician in childhood and adolescent diabetes and endocrinology, member since July 1999)
Stuart Brink, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 1999)
Matthew Brown, MD (Pediatrician and a Pediatric Diabetologist, member since January 2000)
Jim Lane, MD (Adult Endocrinologist, member since November 2000)
David Schwartz, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since May 2001)
Andrea Scaramuzza, MD (Italy) (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since October 2003)
Fran Kaufman, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist, member since August 2006)
Linda DiMeglio, MD (Pediatric Endocrinologist)

Barb Schreiner, RN, MPH, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist, member since July 2002)
Jane Seley, RN, GNP, MPH, MSN, CDE, CHES (Diabetes Nurse Practitioner, member since August 2002)
Joe Solowiejczyk, RN, MSW (Family Therapist, member since April 2010)
Linda Mackowiak, RN, MS, FNP, CDE (Diabetes Nurse Specialist)

Jill Weissberg-Benchell, PhD (Medical Psychology and Psychiatry, member since January 2000)

James Michael Schurig, MS, RD, LD, CDE (Dietitian, member since December 2000)

Exercise Physiologists
Rick Philbin, M.Ed., A.T.C., C.S.C.S (Sports Medicine, member since July 2004)

Lois Schmidt Finney, RD, MPH, CDE (DPT-1 Research Coordinator, member since July 1998)
Heather Speer, MPH, CCRC, CDE (Clinical Diabetes Research and Education Coordinator, member since July 1998)

Social Workers
Debbie Butler, CDE, MSW, LICSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker, member since October 2004)

And Our Occasional Experts