Question:

From Arkansas, USA:

My 8 month old child has Type 1 diabetes. What could bring on diabetes in an eight month old child that has no history of diabetes on either side of his family? Can diabetes be brought on by antibiotics or medication of any kind? Can strep throat trigger Type 1 diabetes?

Answer:

I know of no association of Type 1 diabetes with antibiotics or any other medication. Often the illness being treated by antibiotics is the 'straw that broke the camel's back' and brings the diabetes to the surface but this isn't the primary cause of the gradual decline in pancreas beta cells that was caused by attack by the body's own immune system.

Only 1 in 10 children with diabetes have a family history so the situation you describe is the norm.