Question:

From Hamilton, New Jersey, USA:

My son is 21 has been a diabetic for 10 years now. He is away at school and is drinking a little. I would really like to know what effects this will have on him. I am very concerned about this. He has not had even a beer until he went away to school. He is type 1 and until this his blood sugars have been great.

Answer:

College is a time of experimentation for young adults, with or without diabetes. It is normal for there to be anxiety on your part. Alcohol is tricky because it can mask the symptoms of low blood sugar. It is also not a free item. It contains carbohydrate, and must be accounted for in meal planning. Since your child is no longer under anyone's scrutiny, you must trust that you have laid a firm foundation for intelligent decision making. Letting go is the most difficult task any parent can undertake.

CMB

Posted to Behavior