From Michigan, USA:

I have a son with Type 1 and a 3 year old son who has had several high sugars, but nothing consistent. He gets his glycohemoglobin tested yearly; he went from 4.8% to 6.8% in one year and his c-peptide was 0.9%. Does this indicate that he could be at the beginning phase of diabetes or pre-diabetes and what can be done for him?

Although a recent level of HbA1c of 6.8% looks a little high, it certainly does not suffice for a diagnosis of Type 1 diabetes. In view of the fact, however, that there is an elder brother who has been diagnosed with Type 1A (autoimmune) diabetes, my suggestion is that you should talk to the pediatric endocrinologist about getting an antibody test done (telephone 1-800-425-8361). If the test is positive, you then might like to consider participating in the national Diabetes Prevention Trial (DPT-1) which is a trial of the means of preventing or averting frank clinical diabetes in susceptible antibody-positive children.

Posted to Diagnosis and Symptoms and Research: Causes and Prevention